In December 2001, the Senate of Canada passed a motion to officially designate May as Asian Heritage Month in recognition of the important contributions of Asian Canadians to the settlement, growth and social and cultural development of Canada and in recognition of Canada’s diversity.
Calgary’s Asian Heritage Month joins cities such as Fredericton, Montréal, Toronto, Winnipeg and Vancouver in presenting a month long event to celebrate Canada’s Pan-Asian heritage.
The Asian Heritage Foundation (AHF) is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to promoting the appreciation of Asian-Canadian participation in and contribution to Canadian society. The AHF includes active involvement from over 25 Asian-Canadian community groups in southern Alberta and over 200 volunteers in the development and delivery of its programs.
Being the first collaboration of its kind in Canada, the AHF encourages, supports and develops community by engaging communities in sharing information, generating resources and coordinating initiatives.
Key objectives of the AHF are:
- To celebrate the contributions of Asian-Canadians to the cultural, economic, political and social aspects of living within their communities, and within Canada.
- To promote unity and cooperation among Asian-Canadian communities, as well as between them and the broader community to develop relationships that will lead to future initiatives.
As the largest pan-Asian organization in Alberta, the AHF celebrates Asian Heritage Month each year by presenting ImaginASIAN, a series of culturally engaging events that reflect the depth and diversity of Asian-Canadian communities in Calgary.
Through ImaginASIAN programming, the AHF strives to:
- Create opportunities for all Albertans to join in Asian Heritage Month and connect to the Asian-Canadian experience.
- Provide a catalyst for communities and organizations to work together to build cross-cultural relationships that recognize the value of cultural diversity as a profound strength of Alberta communities.
- Celebrate Asian-Canadian culture and provide a practical framework for fostering productive community and organizational change.